Friday 27 March 2015

Chewy S'mores Granola Bars




In my quest to replace processed snack foods with homemade/healthier versions, I was excited to find this granola bar recipe at My Recipe Magic.  I adapted the recipe slightly and came up with these delicious granola bars that my kids gobbled right up.  You could definitely leave out the chocolate chips (and I suppose even the marshmallows) for a healthier treat.  I doubled this recipe and it filled a 9x13 pan.

Chewy S'mores Granola Bars
  • 1/4 cup butter (I substituted coconut oil.)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (These were plenty sweet so next time I might even half this.)
  • 2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
  • 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (I used regular.)
  1. In a large bowl, stir oats, rice cereal, and mini marshmallows together. Set aside.
  2. In a small pot, melt butter (or coconut oil), honey, and brown sugar together over medium high heat until it comes to a boil.
  3. Reduce the heat and cook 3 minutes. Pour in vanilla and stir.
  4. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to coat.
  5. Pour into an 8x8 baking dish (or 9x13 if doubling), lined with wax paper and lightly greased. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and press down really well, just like you're making Rice Krispie treats.
  6. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and press down lightly.
  7. Let cool to room temperature for two hours or until the chocolate chips are set before cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...